Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Wellness Wednesday: Self Care



"Do not be dismayed by the brokenness of the world. All things break. And all things can be healed.
Not with time, as they say, but with intention. So go. Love intentionally, extravagantly, unconditionally.
The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you."

LR Knost


In the midst of civic unrest, it’s important for all of us to remember self care is a form of resistance. Please take good care of yourself, and each other, as best you can. 







self care advice


Racism has plagued the world for generations. Eradicating it is taking time and energy and a lot of work. Coronavirus is relatively new though it too could be with us indefinitely. As we continue protecting ourselves from the virus and working toward social justice, we need to prepare ourselves emotionally, mentally, physically and spiritually for a long haul. I’m determined to persist. I’m also listening to my body, adjusting my pace to rest when I’m tired.


In the spirit of sharing softer news and/or silly vibes:
  • Celebrities impersonate other celebrities on the Graham Norton Show, part 2.
  • Conan O'Brien remarks at 2013 White House Correspondents Dinner. 
  • Daily Show: top 10 funniest interview moments 2019.


Daily pandemic update:  
Harvard Medical School research report suggested coronavirus might have been spreading in China as early as August 2019. Aljazeera.com timeline

10 June 2020
Cases
Deaths
Recovered
03:42 GMT*
Yesterday
Today
Yesterday
Today
Yesterday
Today
World
7,150,359
7.323,516
407,584
413,731
3,493,138
3,603,893
US
2,015,510
2,045,549
112,738
114,148
765,622
788,862
NY
399,458
400,660
30,502
30,603
84,834
84,982
CT
43,968
44,179
4,071
4,097
7,689
7,689
NC
36,484
37,226
1,041
1,068
18,860
23,653

A moment of silence for those we’ve lost to coronavirus, including the first 100 and the first 100,000 in the US.

As of today 13% of closed cases in the US resulted in death; 87% recovered.
Globally 10% of closed cases resulted in death worldwide; 90% recovered.
Currently 2% of all active cases are considered serious or critical.

*Documenting time of day because real time data updates continuously.
Tracking specific states:  NY is US epicenter. Son Reid lives in CT. I live in NC. 
Worldometers     Coronainusa     Starsexpress2020     https://ncov2019.live/


In the news: 
  • Biden delivered address at George Floyd’s funeral.
  • Cops tv show was cancelled by Paramount. Live PD tv show return being evaluated by A&E.
  • Coronavirus cases are rising in 19 states.
  • Coworker of Chauvin and Floyd said they bumped heads at night club.
  • Cross Fit CEO and founder stepped down after insensitive comments about George Floyd.
  • Donna Brazile explained Justice in Policing Act to Fox News viewers.
  • Facebook confirmed sponsorship of Republican National Convention.
  • GA primary voters waited in long lines due to shortage of open polling places and broken voting machines. Allegations of voter suppression led to calls for investigation. 
  • Gen Charles Q Brown, first black service chief in US military history, was confirmed by senate.
  • Greensboro Mayor Nancy Vaughan released a statement outlining recent and planned reforms.  
  • Hidden treasure chest worth more than $1 million was found in Rocky Mountains.
  • Israel Supreme Court struck down law legalizing settlements on private Palestinian land.
  • Kente scarves, associated with the Ashanti people in central Ghana, were given to democratic law makers by the Congressional Black Caucus; photo op was criticized.
  • Louisville KY street was painted with “Say Her Name” similar to DC street art.
  • Monuments and statues are coming down as anti-racism protests spread. Confederate symbols are rooted in white supremacy; most were erected in the late 19th Century, years after the Civil War ended, as a reminder to African Americans that white people held power. Richmond VA Christopher Columbus statue was toppled and thrown in lake as protestors stood in solidarity with indigenous people. Richmond judge blocked removal of vandalized Robert E Lee statue.
  • New Zealand discontinued armed police response teams following community pushback.
  • NYPD union leader accused media of vilifying police.  NOTE: I've tried to balance negative stories about police brutality with positive examples of police supporting protestors. I don't believe all police are villains though I do think evidence based policing reforms are needed to combat systemic institutionalized racism within law enforcement agencies. 
  • Officials are investigating allegation that OH woman's death linked to tear gas.
  • Organization for Economic Co-operation & Development (OECD) forecast worst global peace time recession in 100 years. 
  • Russia and China build case at UN to protect Iran from US sanctions threat.
  • TN tabled resolution to remove bust of KKK founder Nathan Bedford Forrest.
  • Trump tweeted conspiracy theory that 75 year old protestor was ANTIFA provocateur.
  • US and China are gearing up for an economic cold war.
  • Vehicle tires were slashed during protests in Minneapolis – by law enforcement officers.
  • Winston Salem NC protestors shut down I-40 near Stratford Road. City leaders discussed reallocating $1 million from police budget to reduce poverty. Record number of COVID-19 patients hospitalized in Forsyth County and across the state.



Following Kenny Beck’s lead to share a few signs of hope:
  • Flight attendant had heartwarming discussion about race with airline CEO.
  • Jacksonville FL teen experiencing homelessness became valedictorian.
  • St Louis MO woman prompted Merriam-Webster to update dictionary definition of racism.



In my personal life…

Monday morning Greg mowed the lawn, washed our vehicles, and set up his hammock so we could relax together outside. Then he surprised me by joining the Moral Monday National Day of Fasting and Focus. When 5pm came we joined thousands of people in prayer and reflection while watching a live stream broadcast. Our quiet solidarity and empty tummies brought us closer together.

Afterward we ended our fast to eat dinner together: pork tenderloin with brown gravy, mashed potatoes, spinach salad and fresh out of the oven warm cherry cobbler for dessert. 

Tuesday morning I ate cereal for late breakfast, a bowl of lemon-blueberry Special K. Greg wasn’t hungry so he skipped breakfast. He did some laundry then drove into town to visit with his friend Alan for a few hours while I stayed home to read and write and nap. 

A little after 1pm I drove Minerva to the Pfafftown Pet Pawlor for a bath and nail trim. I put on my mask when I arrived and walked Minerva for a final potty break before going inside. On the door were signs limiting one customer in the lobby at time along with a request to remove all collars. A line marked with tape on the floor indicated where customers should wait. A young man wearing a mask took Minerva to the grooming area; I don’t know his name. I drove home and washed Minerva’s bedding on a sanitize cycle while she was being pampered.

Greg called on his way home around 2pm and offered to stop at McDonalds for linner. He ate two plain hamburgers and fries. I ate a Big Mac and fries. We also split a 10 pack of chicken nuggets. 

At 3pm I pick up Minerva and paid extra as a gesture of appreciation. Crystal, the groomer and business owner, is expecting a baby next month. I asked if she was registered at any stores and she said no since she wouldn’t be having a baby shower. This made me sad. I want to do something for her, but I'm not sure what exactly. Minerva looked and smelled very nice. She pranced to the car and sat calmly in the passenger seat on the ride home. 

As Minerva ate her dinner Tuesday night Greg snacked on some parmesan pretzel crisps while I ate the last bit of leftover cherry crumble. I took another nap but still felt tired when I woke up.

I’m trying to practice self care today. First thing this morning I spent time in the garden. It felt good to get my hands dirty and to smell the gardenias and tomatoes and lemon balm. Rain is forecast tonight but some of the plants are struggling in the summer heat so I watered them which seemed to help. The cantaloupe and zucchini are finally thriving though the watermelon plants still look pitiful.

I read and wrote a lot yesterday but didn’t upload a blog post because I didn’t feel my draft was ready yet, not worthy enough to be shared. I’m still not satisfied with it so I'm posting something else today because I want to break this cycle of shame feeling bad for not posting and also bad for not feeling good enough. I’m trying to accept imperfection without apology or guilt; this is hard for me.   

I'm not religious though I'm finding comfort in a blog post written by a person of faith. Key points: 

     1. Don't listen to your inner judge. 
     2. Do listen to your inner challenger. 
     3. Do listen to people who are different from you and who make you uncomfortable. 
     4. Do listen to the Spirit. 


My daily action for racial justice Tuesday was to learn more about the history of racial violence in America. The knowledge weighs heavy on my heart yet I will continue because I want to know what happened, what really happened. 

Wednesday I plan to continue listening and reading and writing in between naps and other actions of self care.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight 2020

November 2020 After assisting the Forsyth County Board of Elections with a few post election tasks, I finally took time to rest and rechar...