Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Tuesday Oct 13: Ready or Not



Tuesday, October 13 

I sent another email update to my women friends... 

After 3 training classes (beginner class for all early voting workers, intermediate class for early voting leads, and advanced class for election day judges) I still don't feel prepared. There is a mind boggling amount of information to absorb; an abundance of details and possible scenarios. I've read manuals, highlighted important parts, used color coded tape flags for quick reference to specific sections, and organized various supplemental loose papers in a clear plastic expanding file with tabbed dividers. My election go bag includes all the training materials, a note pad, pens, pencils, highlighters, markers, and more tape flags. I've prepared yet I don't feel ready. 
 
Recruiters are still scrambling to hire additional workers to fill in for several people who backed out last minute. I won't know how many people will be at my early voting site until Thursday morning half an hour before the polls open. The fill-ins won't have had any training so I hope they are fast learners. Wish I could meet everyone a day earlier but unfortunately that's not going to happen.
 
My stomach is in knots imagining a long line of eager voters arriving before me, anxious to be among the first to cast their votes. The first day or two is likely going to be brutal, stressful for everyone involved. I'm going to try to be positive and friendly and calm but I'm beyond nervous thinking about how bad the first day might be.  We have a mechanism to estimate wait times so voters can check online at fcvotes.com before leaving home. Some people in Georgia and other states have waited several hours to vote. I hope NC isn't like that. Of course I want everyone to be able to vote. I just don't want so many people showing up the first day. We have 17 days of early voting in NC, plus election day November 3, so there is plenty of time to accommodate everyone.
 
Director Tim coordinated with city police chief and county sheriff to issue a press release assuring safe and secure voting access for everyone. City police officers tend to wear masks in public though some sheriff deputies don't, which leads me to think those deputies are pro-Trump. I hope I don't have to call 911 for any reason. 
 
BOE is providing PPE supplies (masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, cleaning wipes, etc.) and enough pens for each voter to keep a pen instead of re-using them. Rather than use BOE disposable masks, I'll rotate my personal supply of washable cloth masks; 4 high quality masks made by Lynne's daughter Kelly, 2 additional cloth masks, plus 2 masks with clear panels ideal for assisting people with hearing impairments who want to read lips. There will be plexi-glass shields between workers and voters at each table. I also have a personal face shield to wear for extra protection. 
 
Wednesday will be my last day in the BOE office doing data entry and answering the phones. I almost wish I could keep working in the office a while longer rather than jump into early voting. I'm not ready for Thursday. I don't think I'll ever feel ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hindsight 2020

November 2020 After assisting the Forsyth County Board of Elections with a few post election tasks, I finally took time to rest and rechar...